na bhaje chaitanya jabe
mora bhaje gaya,
more dukhe seho janma
janma dukha paya.
● Lord Nityananda tells Madhai, “If one worships Me with devotion and sings My glories but does not worship Gaura with devotion, then he or she will suffer life after life due to making Me unhappy.”
“na bhaje chaitanya”
● Clearly, the words “na bhaje chaitanya” in the above verse specifically refer to those who don’t accept Lord Gaura at all as the Supreme Personality of Godhead and thus reject His Bhakti, while accepting only Lord Nityananda as the Supreme Lord.
● It never refers to those who do Gaura Bhakti (bhaje chaitanya) through Nityananda Bhakti by accepting Lord Gaura as the Master of Their Master of Lord Nityananda (“Amara Prabhura Prabhu”), just like Srila Vrindavana dasa Thakura has accepted himself.
● The above statement by Lord Nityananda never refers to those who accept and worship Lord Gaura as the Supreme Lord while choosing to approach Gaura Bhakti through the all-forgiving and all-accessible Bhakti of His beloved brother, topmost devotee and guru Lord Nityananda (Adi Purana: mad bhaktanam cha ye bhaktah, te me bhaktatamah matah).
● This verse was spoken by Lord Nityananda to warn us about some specific apasampradayas in Bengal who accept and worship Lord Nityananda only as the Supreme Lord while minimising, blaspheming, and rejecting Lord Gaura as an ordinary personality who made “mistakes”.
● Some souls did this discrimination and rejection of not accepting Lord Gauranga, for example Lord Advaita’s own last three sons. They accepted Lord Advaita but criticized Lord Gaura. So Lord Advaita had no other choice but to disown and reject them. This is exactly the same thing about which Lord Nityananda is telling Madhai in the above verse.
● It is such blasphemy and total rejection of Lord Gaura which causes great distress to Lord Nityananda, and thus He rejects these offenders, even if they accept and worship Him. This is called ardha-kukkuti-nyaya, or accepting only half of a hen and rejecting the other half.
● Let us not wrongly apply this verse to the genuine Nityananda Bhakti practice of Srila Vrindavana dasa Thakura and his followers’ (Nityananda Bhaktas) like us, who accept and worship Lord Gaura as the Supreme Personality of Godhead simultaneously.
● One should remember that accepting Lord Gaura as the Supreme Lord does not mean that Lord Nityananda can’t be approached and worshiped individually for attaining qualification for Gaura Radha Krishna Bhakti and Shuddha Harinam.
● King Prataprudra, Chota Haridas, Raghunatha dasa Goswami, Vrindavana dasa Thakura and so many other intimate associates would not dare to directly talk to Lord Gaura most of the time. They would convey their questions and prayers to Lord Gaura only through Lord Nityananda and others. Does that mean that they were not worshiping Gaura?
● Are those millions of associates who serve Lord Nityananda exclusively in Nityananda’s own Yogapeeth with Jahnava and Vasudha, without directly participating in Gaura Lila in Srivasa Angana; or those countless cowherd friends of Nityananda, who do not know anything except Nityananda (CC 1.11.37: nityānanda-candra vinu nahi jāne āna, CC 1.11.47: nityānanda-pada vinu nāhi jāne āna), not worshiping Lord Gaura through this one-pointed Nityananda Bhakti of theirs?
● Of course they are, because Nityananda is accepting their worship and not rejecting them. In the above verse, He is only talking about rejecting those who may worship Him but reject His brother Gaura totally. It is not at all about those who want to do Gaura Bhakti through Nityananda Bhakti, like us aspiring Nityananda Bhaktas.
● Nityananda indiscriminately gave His love countless lost souls like the drunkards, prostitute-hunters, thieves, vagabonds, cannibals, chandalas, etc. by personally going to each one of them in Bengal. Remmeber Lord Gaura was not with Him externally at this time, even though He is always there in Nityananda's heart.
● These souls saw only Nityananda and surrendered to Him. They never knew about Lord Gaura in the beginning and never met Him directly. But they were not rejected by Nityananda just because they did not know about Gaura initially. Instead they were actually embraced by Him and granted Gaura Bhakti and Harinam Siddhi. So again the above verse is specifically about those who deliberately and totally reject Lord Gaura while accepting Lord Nityananda.
● Does it mean that these newly delivered souls do not worship Lord Gaura by surrendering to Lord Nityananda? Not at all. They worship the form of Lord Nityananda, which is the divine playground of Lord Gaura at every moment. They saw the form of the Master of their Master Lord Gaura in the form of their own Master Lord Nityananda. Thus, Nityananda Bhakti includes Gaura Bhakti.
● Besides we Nityananda Bhaktas practice direct Gaura Bhakti also by our Harinam Japa and Kirtan, hearing Gaura Lila in Chaitanya Bhagavata, singing Gauranga's and Pastimes in Kirtan, visting Navadvipa, etc.
● The Radha-palya-dasi manjaris in Vraja always take the side of Radha when She has a fight with Krishna. They worship Radha exclusively, desiring Krishna’s service only when He makes Radha happy. They chastize Krishna if He apparently gives pain to Radha.
● Won’t it be extremely offensive to say that all these manjaris don’t worship Krishna, just because of their mood of approaching Krishna only through the service and glorification of their own Swamini Radha? The same thing applies to Nityananda Bhakti also wherein one accepts Gauranga as the Master of one's Master Nityananda.