The merciful, madhurya, and rasika meanings and visualizations of Namlekhan revealed!
● 1. PRACTICE: How to Do Namlekhan?
Namlekhan is the practice of writing Nityananda’s Sanskrit name (निताइ) with our palm in large size in the air in front of our eyes, while mentally visualizing Him, and Gaura Radha Krishna in each of the shapes of its 10 writing strokes. Eyes can be open or closed, whichever helps in visualizing better. One can even airwrite mentally if one is not able to move the palm in the air.
You can airwrite with one’s right or left palm, depending on whether you are a right-hander or left-hander respectively. Or you can write alternatingly with your right and left palm so that each of your arms get some time to rest in between. The right or left elbow can rest on a chair handle, raised knee, or any other raised object for support; while the upper arm moves for airwriting in big size. The moving palm can be in any comfortable position.
The whole point is to facilitate mental visualization of the Forms and Pastimes of the Lords in each stroke by the persistence of vision and the sparkler’s trail effect arising by airwriting in large size, specifically in the air space which is right in front of our eyes. Remembrance of the meanings of each stroke is the key to the direct mental touch of the Lord during Namlekhan, and this what causes the eruptions of ecstatic goosebumps of pure bliss during Namlekhan.
● 2. MERCIFUL: Nityananda Rupa Lila Darshan in Namlekhan
1) As you airwrite the first curving stroke न; visualize how Nityananda Prabhu is approaching a soul on His own, humbly bending and falling on His knees before him or her, and imploring to accept His love and mercy simply by His touch. He is willing to go any extent to to give His love and eventually hugs that person to fully transmit His love and mercy, without even waiting for that soul to ask for it.
2) As you airwrite the second vertical stroke | from the top to bottom; visualize how blissful, peaceful, and, empowered that soul who has just received Nityananda’s mercy is feeling from head to toe, due to Nityananda’s touch and embrace. How fortunate and how much love and attraction he or she has started feeling for Nityananda, after realizing the greatness of the treasure he or she has just received.
3) As you airwrite the third ascending vertical and then curving stroke ि from the bottom to top, visualize how Nityananda is standing at a distance and constantly caring and watching over that soul (2) whom He has granted His love to. Once He hugs someone (1), He never forgets him or her. He always remains by their side by His merciful glance and blessings, represented by the top curve, which eventually touches their head and blesses them. He is constantly providing them with what they lack and safeguarding what they already have.
4) As you airwrite the fourth horizontal stroke — from the left to right, visualize how Nityananda stretches out His beautiful arm horizontally to steer your life and give you detailed step-by-step directions about the shortest path to the destination and goal you want to achieve in life, which is Prema Bhakti. He acts as your guide and driver. He can’t bear it if you miss your mark. So by always residing within your heart, He never leaves your side even for a moment. Thus, this 4th stroke represents the formation of your solid and tangible relationship (sambandha) with Nityananda Prabhu.
5) As you airwrite the fifth curving stroke त resembling a plow from the bottom to top, visualize how you are touching or holding Nityananda’s own shining golden plow bedecked by gems, diamonds, emeralds, rubies, sapphires, etc. This plow is uprooting all your unwanted gross and subtle anarthas and offenses, so that they can never ever sprout up again. This plow, which He is holding in His right hand, is cultivating your heart and making it more fertile with love, affection, appreciation, respect, understanding, compassion, and kindness to devotees; thus removing the seed of envy in your heart which leads of Vaishnava Aparadha.
Nityananda in Taa
6) As you airwrite the sixth vertical stroke | from the top to bottom, visualize every golden limb of the most exquisite, charming, and perfectly formed divine body of Nityananda from His head to feet, as if He is standing right in front of you or in your heart. It is more beautiful than millions of cupids and more effulgent than thousands of suns. He is smiling upon you, granting you Prema Bhakti unconditionally, even before you ask Him.
7) As you airwrite the seventh vertical stroke | from the bottom to top, visualize lifting your hand from Nityanandas lotus feet and placing it on the surface of the golden club of Nityananda, which He is holding in His left hand. It is ornamented with jewels with the big round heavy part of the club at the bottom. He constantly uses the club to destroy all the boulder-like obstacles in our Bhakti path, which are inflicted on us by others around us due to our past karma. Then we start attaining the Prema Bhakti we desire, due to His club’s miracle upon us. Visualizing His club makes us humble, resilient against, and unaffected by insults, infamy, and disrespect from others. It also thwarts the evil intentions of those who want to do us harm.
8) As you airwrite the eight horizontal stroke — from the left to right, which is directly above Nityananda in the 6th stroke, you can visualize the two outstretched long golden arms of Nityananda or the beautiful gem-studded round umbrella (chatra) being held over His head by His loving associates. You can also visualize how by now you are under the complete care and protection of the service of Nityananda. He is engaged in His non-stop services for you. This is because He feels lovingly obliged to serve you 24/7, especially because you are airwriting His name and singing or listening to His Pastimes, and those of Gaura Radha Krishna.
9) As you airwrite the longest 9th stroke इ which has 3 curves, visualize how Nityananda Prabhu is standing with His divine body bending in three places: at His neck, waist, and knees. He is standing in this way on the soft green grass under the Siddha Bakul tree Yogapith in His Ekachakra village. He is playing His flute (represented by the 10th stroke) and imbuing every single animate and inanimate object in his beautiful home town of Ekachakra with His love and bliss. The three curves in this stroke are directly the three bends in His divine body intertwined with His exquisite golden bodily limbs and His radiant blue dhoti. The bottommost curving part of this stroke are His beautiful lotus feet resting sideways on the soft green grass of Ekachakra with His shining pearl-like toes.
10) As you airwrite the shorter tenth horizontal stroke — from the left to right, visualize His flute resting on His bimba-fruit-like red lotus lips. Visualize the sound of this flute as it is calling back all His cowherd boyfriends, cows, and calves from grazing. Also, He is announcing to His parents and all associates at home, that He is returning back to His splendid Ekachakra Yogapith palace soon. The sound of His flute even has your name in it, showering you 24/7 with His love and mercy. It has the name of every living entity in creation. In this 10th stroke of love, you can become fully enchanted by also visualizing Lord Nityananda’s perfectly-formed lotus face with His head adorned with the most gorgeous curly black hair as He is playing the flute.
● 3. MADHURYA: Gaura Radha Krishna Rupa Lila Darshan in Namlekhan
नि = Sambandha (Relationship) Madan Mohan
ता = Abhideya (Service) Govinda
इ = Prayojana (Love) Gopinath
7) As you airwrite the seventh vertical stroke | from the bottom to top, visualize lifting your hand from Nityanand’s lotus feet and placing it on Gauranga’s golden lotus feet at the bottom of this 7th stroke and then moving straight up vertically as your visualize Gauranga’s exquisite form. Gauranga’s brilliant golden complexion was more effulgent than millions of suns. The shining beauty of millions of moons and millions of Cupids would have been put to shame by His inconceivably beautiful face. His arms are long enough to reach His knees, His eyes are just like lotus flowers, His nose is like a sesame flower, and His face is as beautiful as the moon.
8) As you airwrite the eight horizontal stroke — from the left to right, visualize Gauranga’s right and left lotus arms accepting the soul from His brother Nityananda with His right hand and handing over the soul to Radha Krishna with His left hand. In this way, Gauranga’s grants Abhideya or Seva of Radha Krishna with His two hands represented by this 8th horizontal stroke. He also offers shelter and protection to those souls by these two hands in whose hearts Nityananda is plowing and clubbing in the form the 6th and 7th strokes and making them soft for Prema Bhakti.
9) As you airwrite the longest 9th stroke इ which has 3 curves, visualize how Lord Krishna is standing with His divine body bending in three places: at His neck, waist, and knees. He is standing in this way on the soft green grass at different Yogapiths in Vrajadham like Radha Kund, Vamshivat, Ter Kadamba, etc. He is playing His flute (represented by the 10th stroke) and imbuing every single animate and inanimate object in his beautiful Vraja with His love and bliss. The three curves in this stroke are directly the three bends in His divine body intertwined with His exquisite blue bodily limbs and His radiant yellow dhoti. The bottommost curving part of this stroke are His beautiful lotus feet resting sideways on the soft green grass of Vraja with His shining pearl-like toes. You can visualize the 9th stroke इ as the divine embrace of Radha Krishna (radha lingita vigraham), as shown in the image above.
10) As you airwrite the shorter tenth horizontal stroke — from the left to right, visualize Lord Krishna’s flute resting on His bimba-fruit-like red lotus lips. Visualize the sound of this flute as it is calling back all His gopis, cowherd boyfriends, cows, and calves from grazing. Also, He is announcing to His parents and all associates at home, that He is returning back to His splendid Nandagaon Yogapith palace soon. The sound of His flute even has your name in it, showering you 24/7 with His love and mercy. It has the name of every living entity in creation. In this 10th stroke of love, you can become fully enchanted by also visualizing Lord Krishna’s perfectly-formed lotus face with His head adorned with the most gorgeous curly black hair.
● 4. RASIKA: Radha Kund Rupa Lila Darshan in Namlekhan
नि = Radha Kund Lila from 10:48 am – 3:36 pm
ता = Surya Kund Lila just after after that
इ = Nandagaon Lila of playing the flute, godhuli, etc.
As we know from Gaura Gannodesha Dipika Verse 66 by Srila Kavi Karnapura and from Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati’s commentary to Chaitanya Bhagavata 2.12.26 (sri nityananda prabhu radharanira anuja-rupe madhurya rasera poshana korena), each of the three: Lord Nityananda, Srimati Jahnava, and Srimati Vasudha are all Ananga Manjari in Radha Krishna’s eternal pastimes.
So the syllables of Nityananda’s Name fully turns into Ananga Manjari for those in madhurya rasa. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta states in his Anubhashya in Chaitanya Bhagavata: madhurye audarya aprakata. This means that when Ananga Manjari’s form manifests in Nityananda’s Name, then the form of Nityananda becomes unmanifest and vice versa. Just like when Radha Krishna’s form manifests, Gauranga’s form becomes unmanifest and vice versa.
1-4) When निताइ becomes Ananga Manjari, नि becomes Ananga Manjari’s Kunja in the center of Radha Kund and the complete clockwise Radha Kund’s parikrama of all Ashta Sakhi kunjas as shown in the image above. It represents the true Mukharvinda or Lotus Feet of Giriraja Govardhan. The 1st stroke is the clockwise parikrama of the 16-golden-petalled Ananga Manjari’s Kunja and the crystal bridge over Radha Kund which connects it to Lalita Kunja on the northern bank of Radha Kund. The Madhyana Lila or Noon Pastimes of Radha Kund and Surya Kund are the crown-jewel of all pastimes so नि and ता reveal these topmost pastimes resp.
2) The 2nd stroke is the supreme Lalita Kunja which is the abode of pastimes and residence of Lalita Sakhi, Rupa Manjari, Ananga Manjari, and all the Manjaris and Upamanjaris under Rupa. Also Sudevi Kunja in the corner. The empty space at the bottom of नि is the Sangam or union of Radha Kund and Shyam Kund, Govinda Ghat, Vishakha Kunja, Chitra Kunja, Shyam Kund, Gopi Kua, etc.
3) The vertical part of the 3rd stroke represents the Rasavadi Ghat on the southern bank of Radha Kund, Indulekha Kunja, Champaklata Kunja, etc.
4) The top rounded part of the 3rd stroke manifests the huge tree of Jhulan Tala, Sringar Tala, or Bhojan Tala covering the western bank of Radha Kund revealed by the 4th stroke. The 4th stroke also represents Rangadevi Kunja, Tungavidya Kunja, the raised right cheek of Giriraja Govardhan, etc.
5-8) The 5th and 6th strokes of त reveal the pastime of Krishna on His knees reading the palm of Radha in the garb of an astrologer in Surya Kund after the Radha Kund pastimes. The adjacent 7th vertical stroke “।” represents Ananga Manjari standing by Radha’s side in Surya Kund. And the 8th stroke reveals the beautiful umbrella which Ananga Manjari is holding over Radharani’s head at Surya Kund.
9, 10) As निताइ becomes Ananga Manjari, then the 9th and 10 strokes of इ reveal Radha’s three-fold bending form of Tribhangini while playing the flute. Because primarily Radha always resides in the heart of Ananga Manjari as her Yutheshvari (group leader)and elder sister. Ananga Manjari, in the friendship of Rupa Manjari, always aspires for Radha-dasyam and Lalita-dasyam. So you can remember the supremely beautiful 3-fold bending golden form of Tribhangini Radha Herself playing the flute which She stole or won from Krishna during the Pasha Lila of chess in Sudevi’s Kunja in Radha Kund, and returned it back to Krishna in Surya Kund. इ also reveals Tribhangi Krishna playing His flute by standing in His 3-fold bending form during the Godhuli lila of calling back all His cows, gopas, and gopis after the Surya Kund lila as they are returning back to Nandagoan. इ also signifies all the pastimes during the other 7 periods of Aparahna Lila (3:36-6 pm), Shayan Lila (6-8:24 pm), Pradosha Lila (8:24-10:48 pm), Nisha Lila (10:48-3:36 pm), Nishanta Lila (3:36-6 am), Pratah Lila (6-8:24 am), and Purvahna Lila (8:24-10:48 am).
PS. There are infinite meanings and pastimes which arise from each of the syllables of Nityananda’s name, just like they arise from the sound of the name. These are just a few pastimes for you to remember during Namlekhan. They are not the only ones which may arise. The syllables of the Name can show you many other pastimes during Namlekhan depending on your faith in Namlekhan.