108 proof from the scriptures and our acharyas about the paramount importance of singing kirtan of Nityananda and Gauranga’s names and pastimes daily to make our Harinam offenseless.
● Sing or listen to Gauranam and Gauralila in kirtana to receive the causeless mercy of Nityananda.
(1) “A neophyte student who is not sufficiently educated or enlightened should not indulge in the worship of Shri Radha and Krishna or the chanting of the Hare Krishna mantra. Even if he does so, he cannot get the desired result. One should therefore chant the names of Nityananda-Gaura and worship Them without false prestige. In the beginning one should very regularly chant Shri Gaurasundara’s holy name and then chant the holy name of Lord Nityananda. Thus one’s heart will be cleansed of impure desires for material enjoyment. Then one can approach Vrindavana-dhama to worship Lord Krishna.” (Shrila Prabhupada in Cc Adi 8.31 purp)
(2) Yoga Student: “…to chant the names of Nityananda-Gauranga before we encourage them so much to chant the maha-mantra?”
Prabhupada: “No. Why? Now, what is the difference, Nityananda-Gauranga and Hare Krishna? Nityananda-Gauranga and Hare Krishna, there is no difference. Nityananda-Gauranga is also nice. Whatever he finds convenient, let him chant.” (Shrila Prabhupada’s Room Conversation with Yoga Student specifically regarding Japa, March 14, 1975, Iran)
(3) “It is very beneficial to chant the names shri-krishna-chaitanya prabhu-nityananda before chanting the Hare Krishna maha-mantra because by chanting these two holy names -shri-krishna-chaitanya prabhu-nityananda-one immediately becomes ecstatic, and if he then chants the Hare Krishna maha-mantra he becomes free of offenses.” (SP in Cc Adi 8.24 purport)
(4) “It should be noted in this connection that the holy names of Lord Krishna and Gaurasundara are both identical with the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Therefore one should not consider one name to be more potent than the other. Considering the position of the people of this age, however, the *** chanting *** of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s name is *** more essential *** than the chanting of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra because Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is the most magnanimous incarnation and His mercy is very easily achieved.” (Shrila Prabhupada in Cc Adi-lila 8.31 purport)
(5) “Worshipers of Shri Gaurasundara accept the four syllables gau-ra-an-ga as the Gaura mantra, but pure worshipers of Radha and Krishna accept the four syllables ra-dha krs-na as the Gaura-gopala mantra. However, Vaishnavas consider Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu nondifferent from Radha-Krishna (shri-krishna-chaitanya radha-krishna nahe anya). Therefore one who chants the mantra “gauranga” and one who chants the names of Radha and Krishna are on the same level.” (Shrila Prabhupada in Cc Antya-lila 2.31 purport)
(6) tara iccha balavan
pascatyete than than
hoy jate gauranger nam
asamudra nada nadi
sakalei loy krishna nam
(On board the ship Jaladuta, September 13, 1965, Verse 3, by Shrila Prabhupada)
“By his (my Guru Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura Prabhupada’s) strong desire, THE HOLY NAME OF GAURANGA will first spread throughout all the countries of the Western world. Then in all the cities, towns, and villages on the earth, from all the oceans, seas, rivers, and streams, everyone will chant the Hare Krishna Mahamantra.”
(7) “You mention that they have not even heard of Lord Gauranga. So that is their misfortune, and our misfortune also. _________________ in India, they could not preach Lord Gauranga’s name all over India.” (Shrila Prabhupada’s Letter to: Niranjana, Brooklyn, 21 May, 1973)
(8) Shrila Prabhupada in Cc Madhya 24.330: “The spiritual master has to select a mantra for his disciple according to the disciple’s ability to chant different mantras.”
(9) Shrila Prabhupada’s Letter to: Shachimata, Bombay, 8 December, 1974: “It is the advice of Narottama das Thakura to chant the holy name of Gauranga either if one remains at home or in the forest. Similarly, do not forget the chanting of the Hare Krishna mantra either you live in the temple or at home.”
(10) Shrila Prabhupada in Shrimad-Bhagavatam Lecture 2.1.2, Vrindavana, March 17, 1974: “Then you become gosvami. Then, as Narottama dasa Thakura says, grhe va banete thake ha gauranga bole dake. Ha gauranga, ‘Always chanting Nityananda-Gaura, and thinking of Nityananda-Gaura,’ such person, Narottama dasa Thakura says… Grhe va… ‘He may be a sannyasi, or he may be a grhastha. It doesn’t matter. Because he is absorbed in the thought of Nityananda-Gaura.’ So narottama mage tanra sanga: ‘Narottama is always desiring to associate with such person.'”
(11) “If you simply chant Nityananda-Gaura and dance, then you’ll become happy. There is no difficulty. There is no difficulty.” (Shrila Prabhupada in Shri Chaitanya-charitamrita class, Madhya-lila 20.102, Baltimore, July 7, 1976)
(12) “As soon as one will chant the name of Shri Krishna Chaitanya, there will be shivering. This is the first symptom that one is getting advanced in the perfectional stage of Krishna consciousness. So Narottama dasa Thakura says, gauranga bolite habe pulaka sarire. He’s expecting. Although he was a great acarya, still, he was expecting, “When that stage will come?” The wording of the song is as follows. G-a-u-r-a-n-g-a, gauranga. Bolite, b-a-l-i-t-e. Habe, h-a-b-e. Gauranga bolite habe pulaka, p-u-l-a-k-a. Pulaka sarira, s-a-r-i-r. Gauranga bolite habe pulaka sarira hari hari, h-a-r-i h-a-r-i. Bolite, b-a-l-i-t-e. Hari hari bolite habe, h-a-b-e. Hari hari bolite kabe. Not habe, kabe, k-a-b-e. Nayane, n-a-y-a-n-e. Babe, b-a-b-e, Nira, n-e-e-r. The meaning is that there will be not only shivering as soon as I utter the name of Gauranga, but there will be torrents of tears in my eyes as soon as I chant Hare Krishna. this is the explanation.” (Shrila Prabhupada’s Purport to Gauranga Bolite Habe, Los Angeles, January 9, 1969)
Lord Caitanya Dances in Harinaam Sankirtan
(13) “My Guru Maharaja always sees if Krishna’s name or Lord Chaitanya’s name appeared in someone’s writing and would appreciate the writing for this alone.” (Shrila Prabhupada’s Letter to: Dina Dayala, Nellore, 6 January, 1976)
(14) “He says: gauranga bolite habe pulaka-sarira. This is the perfection of chanting, that as soon as we chant or take the name of Lord Gauranga, who initiated the Sankirtana Movement, at once there will be a shivering in the body.” (Shrila Prabhupada’s Purport to song, Los Angeles, Dec 29, 1968)
(15) “Shrila Narottama dasa Thakura prays that he will have the association of a person-either a householder or a man in the renounced order of life – who is engaged in the transcendental loving service of the Lord and is always crying the holy name of Lord Chaitanya.” (Shrila Prabhupada in Krishna Book Chp 20, Description of Autumn)
(16) Prabhupada: No. We are recommending “Chant the holy name of God.” So if you have got the holy name of God, you can chant that.
Prabhupada: Anyway, if one chants Allah or Jesus Christ, we have no objection. We don’t say that you stop it. We say that you chant the holy name of God. If that name is of God, you chant. (Shrila Prabhupada during a Room Conversation, August 14, 1971, London)
(17) “The Hare Krishna Mahamantra considers the offenses whereas the Names of Gauranga-Nityananda don’t consider offenses. An offensive chanter will never achieve the fruit of chanting (pure love for Krishna) by chanting the Hare Krishna Mahamantra. Therefore till the time he is commiting offenses, he should chant the names of Nityananda and Gauranga. Due the repeated chanting of the names of Nityananda and Gauranga, the offenses will be destroyed and he will achieve the fruit of chanting.”
(18) “The name of Krishna and Gauranga-Both are non-different than the named Lord. Those who think that Krishna is any way inferior or limited than Gauranga are in gross ignorance. But in practical considerations with respect to benefit awarded to the conditioned souls, the chanting of Shri Nityananda and Gauranga’s Name is more useful and helpful for everyone. The mercy of Krishna’s names is generally only upon liberated or perfected souls who are surrendered to Him. But the magnanimity of the names of Lord Nityananda and Gauranga is especially for the souls who are offenders and full of anarthas and desires for material sense-gratification. The chanting of Lord Nityananda and Lord Gauranga’s Names and Their worship quickly delivers the soul from all the offenses and thus the soul achieves shelter at the lotus feet of Lord Gauranga-Krishna without any delay.” (Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura Prabhupada, Purport to Chaitanya-Charitamrita Adi 8.31)
(19) Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya Chp 1:
kali jivera aparadha
tara nahika uddhara.
“The offenses and sins of the living entities in Kali-yuga are unlimited and absolutely insurmountable. That is why the souls can never ever be delivered without the regular chanting the most merciful name of Gauranga.” (Shrila Sacchidananda Bhaktivinoda Thakura)
nahi esaba vicara,
nama laite prema dena
(Cc Adi 8.31)
“But if one chants, with only some slight faith, the two holy names of Lord Gauranga and Nityananda, very quickly he or she is quickly cleansed of all offenses. Since in the chanting of the names of Nityananda and Gauranga there is no consideration of offenses, one will very quickly come to the stage of love of God, simply by chanting Their names and tears of pure love for Krishna will flow from the eyes.” (Shrila Krishnadasa Kaviraja Goswami)
(21) grhe ba vanete thake,
‘ha gauranga’ bo’le dake,
narottama mage tara sanga.
“One may reside in the house or in the forest, but if he or she is constantly chanting the name of Gauranga, then I (Narottama Dasa Thakura) want his association and want to serve him.” (Shrila Narottama dasa Thakura)
(22) gauranga-nama na laiya,
yei krishna bhaje giya;
sei krishna bahu kale paya.
(23) gauranga-nama laya jei,
sadya krishna paya sei;
aparadha nahi rahe taya.
(Shrila Narada Muni)
“If someone endeavours to worship Krishna without regularly chanting the name of Lord Gauranga, then he or she will achieve Krishna only after a very prolonged period of time. But if someone takes shelter of the Name of Lord Gauranga, he or she will achieve Krishna very soon because his or her offenses will immediately cease to exist.” (real shelter of the names of Lord Nityananda and Lord Gauranga means to chant Them atleast one thousand times i.e. 10 rounds daily).
(24) bhaja gauranga
laha gaurangera nama re;
ye jana gauranga bhaje
sei amara prana re.
(Lord Shri Nityananda Prabhu Himself)
“Worship Gauranga, chant Gauranga Nam and sing the Holy Name of Lord Gauranga. Those who will worship Lord Gauranga in this way by constantly chanting His name are veritably My life and soul and I will give them all protection.”
(25) prthivite ache yata
haibe mora nama.
“Very shortly My Name will be chanted, broadcasted and glorified in all various towns, villages, cities, countries and continents of the world.” (Lord Shri Gauranga Mahaprabhu Himself, Chaitanya-bhagavata Antya 4.126 )
● Some more references from the Vedic scriptures regarding the glories of Nityanandanam and Gauranam are as follows:
● SHRILA SHIVANANDA SENA CHANTS THE 4-SYLLABLE GAURA-GOPALA-MANTRA
The four-syllable Gauranga (Gaura Gopala) Mantra is the most worshipable ista-mantra of Shrila Shivananda Sena who chanted the Mantra constantly as per Shri Chaitanya-caritamrita Antya-lila 2.24,31:
apane bolana more,
iha yadi jani;
jani’ kahena apani.
(27) ‘gaura-gopala mantra’
tomara cari aksara;
yei kariyacha antara”
Nakula Brahmacari told Shivananda Sena, “You are chanting the Gaura Gopala Mantra, composed of four syllables (which is your ista-mantra i.e. worshipable mantra). Now please give up the doubts that have resided within you about the avesha of Lord Gauranga in me.”
(28) Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura explains the Gaura-Gopala mantra in his Amrta-pravaha-bhasya: “Worshipers of Shri Gaurasundara accept the four syllables ‘gau-ra-an-ga’ as the Gaura mantra, but pure worshipers of Radha and Krishna accept the four syllables ra-dha krs-na as the Gaura-gopala mantra. However, Vaishnavas consider Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu nondifferent from Radha-Krishna (shri-krishna-chaitanya radha-krishna nahe anya). Therefore one who chants the mantra “gauranga” and one who chants the names of Radha and Krishna are on the same level.” (Purport by Shrila Prabhupada)
(29) gaura-gopala-mantra gauravadi gana ‘gauranga’ name chatura-aksara gaura-mantra ke uddesya karena; kevala krishnavadi gana ei gaura-gopala-mantra sabde radha-krsnera chatura-aksara-mantrake uddesya karena.
“The following is the explanation of the Gaura-gopala mantra. The followers of Lord Gauranga accept ‘Gauranga’ as the four-syllable mantra and the followers of only Krishna accept ‘Radha-Krishna’ as the Gaura-gopala mantra. The followers of both Lord Gauranga and Lord Krishna accept either one of them as the Gaura-gopala mantra understanding that They are non-different from each other.” (Purport by Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura in his Amrita-pravaha-bhashya)
● CHAITANYA MANGALA: LORD GAURANGA IS WORSHIPED IN GOLOKA BY ALL HIS ETERNAL ASSOCIATES BY GAURANAM
The four-syllable Gauranga Mantra is chanted in Goloka Vrindavana by all the eternal associates of the Lord in the direct worship of Lord Gauranga:
In Shri Chaitanya-mangala Sutra-khanda Verse 527 by Shrila Locana Dasa Thakura, the four-syllable Gauranga-mantra is described as the Mantra through which Lord Shri Gauranga Mahaprabhu is worshipped in Goloka Vrindavana, the topmost Vaikuntha planet in the spiritual world:
“The Lord sits on a golden bejewelled throne. He posseses a complexion millions of times more brilliant than the colour of molten gold. He is worshipped by all His devotees by the chanting of the four-syllable name ‘Gauranga’.”
● DIRECT ORDER OF THE SUPREME LORD ADI-GURU SHRI NITYANANDA BALARAMA TO SING GAURANAM
It is the direct, open and primary instruction of the Guru of all Gurus Adi-Guru, Sakshat-Mula-Sankarshana, origin of the spiritual and material worlds Lord Shri Nityananda Balarama to all the moving and non-moving living entities to sing Gauranam as quoted by Shrila Prabhupada himself:
bhaja gauranga kaha gauranga
laha gaurangera nama re;
ye jana gauranga bhaje
sei amara prana re.
Lord Nityananda instructs all living entities: “Worship Gauranga, chant Gauranga and sing the name of Gauranga. Those who will worship Gauranga in this way are veritably My life and soul.”
(This verse is also quoted by Shrila Prabhupada in his lecture, Shri Chaitanya-charitamrita, Adi-lila 7.5, Mayapur, March 7, 1974)
“You can also chant the prayer you asked about. This was spoken by Lord Nityananda while He was preaching in the town. He was addressing the people: ‘My dear brothers, you simply worship Lord Chaitanya; talk of Lord Chaitanya; speak Lord Chaitanya’s Name, so anyone who does so, he is my life and soul.” (SP in Letter to: Mahapurusa, Los Angeles, 7 March, 1968)
(32) From the writings of Shrila Bhakti Rakshaka Shridhara Goswami Maharaja found in his book “The Golden Volcano of Divine Love”:
“Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu was merged in tasting the sweetness of Radha-Govinda lila, and diving deep into that reality, however, at the same time, He wanted to deliver all souls whose hearts had been devoured by the false notions of renunciation and exploitation. He ordered Nityananda Prabhu, ‘Go to Bengal and try to deliver them-give them divine love for Radha and Krishna.'”
“He ordered Nityananda Prabhu to distribute divine love for Radha-Govinda, but instead, Nityananda began to preach about Shri Gauranga. He thought, ‘It will be better for them to worship Gauranga; that will help free them from their offenses in their present position, and by doing so, they will automatically achieve a position in Radha-Govinda lila.’ ”
“He was ordered to preach the name of Krishna, but instead began to preach the name of Gauranga. So, for our own welfare, we bow down to Nityananda Prabhu with all our humility.”
(33) ‘chaitanya’ seva,
lao ‘chaitanya’ nama
‘caitanye’ ye bhakti kare,
sei mora prama
Lord Nityananda implored; “Serve Lord Gauranga, sing Gauranam and chant Gauranam. Those who worship Lord Gauranga in this way are My life and soul.” (Chaitanya-Charitamrita Madhya lila 1.29)
(34) kasta nahi, vyaya nahi
na pabe yatana;
sri gauranga bali nace
Lord Nityananda instructs all the living entities: “There is no trouble or loss nor will you suffer anymore, if you forget yourself in bliss while dancing and singing the name of Gauranga.” (Shri Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya, Chp 1)
(35) Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura in his song ‘Boro Sukher Khabor Gai’, from the Vaishnava-siddhanta-mala:
ek-bar dekhle cakse jal,
gaura bole nityananda
den sakala sambal.
“When Lord Nityananda sees a tear welling in someone’s eye upon saying the name of Gauranga, He instantly gives His eternal support and shelter to that person; indeed, He bestows all divine opulences upon him or her.”
● REPEATED RECOMMENDATION OF SHRILA NAROTTAMA DASA THAKURA TO TAKE GAURANAM
Shrila Narottama dasa Thakura has explicity glorified Gauranam in his various songs:
je gaurangera nama loy
tara hoy premodoy,
tare mui jai bolihari.
“One who takes Gauranam instantly awakens his or her dormant pure love for Lord Krishna. I (Narottama) worship such a person and surrender to him.”
(37) grhe ba vanete thake,
‘ha gauranga’ bole dake
narottama mage tara sanga.
“It is not so important whether one resides in the house or in the forest, but if he is feelingly saying Gauranam, then I (Narottama) want his constant association.”
(38) gauranga balite
habe pulaka sarira;
hari hari balite
nayane ba’be nira.
“In the beginning, when by saying Gauranam, my body will feel waves of ecstasy, only then will I be able to shed tears while chanting the names of Lord Hari in the form of the Hare Krishna Mahamantra.”
● THERE IS NO OTHER WAY IN KALI-YUGA EXCEPT GAURANAM
kali jivera aparadha
tara nahika uddhara.
“The offenses and sins of the living entities in Kali-yuga are unlimited and absolutely insurmountable. That is why the souls can never ever be delivered without taking Gauranam.” (Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya, Chp 1)
(40) ataeva gaura vina
na dekhi kothaya
ara sastra phukaraya.
“Therefore I see no other means except Gaura for everyone’s deliverance in Kali-yuga and this is the repeated declaration of all Vedic scriptures.”
nityananda gaur kirtan lila
● PARVATI AND SHIVA SANG GAURANAM CONSTANTLY
gauri saha siva
gaiya gaiya puraya kama.
“In Navadvipa, Lord Shiva is constantly singing Gauranam alongwith his wife Gauri and thus fulfilling his innermost desires.” (In Shri Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya, Chp 8, Lord Nityananda Prabhu tells Shrila Jiva Goswami)
(42) gauranga bhajana
“Lord Gauranga’s worship is very easy and simple to perform. In return Lord Gauranga very easily and immediately rewards the worshiper with the desired results or fruits of his or her chanting.”
(43) gauranga baliya
“One who sings Gauranam and cries in ecstasy will receive the direct audience of the Supreme Personality of Godhead Gauranga and Radha-Krishna very quickly.”
(44) dharayamy urdhva-vadane,
devesi samhitam imam;
mantram ca gauracandrasya,
“O Parvati, the controller of all the demigods, I always recite with great enthusiasm this Ananta-samhita along with the Gauranga mantra which is the most auspicious in this world.” (Shri Ananta-samhita, Shri Chaitanya-janma-khanda, Part Two, Chapter Three, Text 54, Lord Shiva tells Parvati)
● GAURANAM IS THE ONLY WAY ACHIEVE LORD KRISHNA
From Shri Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya, Chp 7, the great sage Shrila Narada Muni instructs King Suvarna Sena:
yei gauranam labe,
tate krishna krpa habe;
vraje vasa seita karibe
“Lord Krishna will be certainly merciful on the living entity who takes Gauranam. Due to Gauranam, that soul will most certainly achieve residence in the eternal transcendental abode of Vrindavana.”
gauranga-nama na laiya
yei krishna bhaje giya;
sei krishna bahu kale paya.
gauranga-nama laya jei,
sadya krishna paya sei;
aparadha nahi rahe taya.
“If someone endeavors to worship Krishna without Gauranam, then he or she will achieve Krishna only after a very prolonged period of time. But if someone takes shelter of the Gauranam, he or she will achieve Krishna instantly because all the offenses will immediately cease to exist.”
● JAIVA DHARMA STATES THAT LORD KRISHNA IS WORSHIPED BY CHANTING THE GAURA MANTRA
Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura’s Jaiva Dharma Chp 14 describes the process of worship of Lord Gauranga and Lord Krishna through Gauranam:
shri gauranga yadi saksat paripurna-tattva hailena, tabe tanhara pujara vyavastha ki?
Since Shri Gauranga is the the original complete Absolute Truth, how should one worship Him?
gauranga-nama mantre gaurapuja karileo yaha haya, krishna-nama-mantre krishna-puja karileo tahai haya. krishna-mantre gaurapuja va gaura-mantre krishnapuja-sakalai eka. ihate je bheda- buddhi kare, se nitanta anabhijna ou kalira dasa.
As one worships Lord Krishna by chanting the name and mantra of Krishna, so one should worship Lord Gauranga by taking the name and mantra of Gauranga. One may worship Lord Gauranga by Krishna-mantra, or for that matter one may worship Lord Krishna by Gaura mantra. They are all the same. Anyone who thinks Lord Krishna and Lord Gauranga are different is a fool. He is a servant of Kali-yuga.
channavatarera mantra ki-rupe paoya jaya?
Where to obtain the mantras to worship Lord Gauranga who has come as a covered incarnation?
je tantra prakasya-avataraganera mantra prakasarupe varnana kariyachena, sei tantrei channavatarera mantra channarupe likhiya rakhiyachena. yanhadera buddhi kutila naya, tahara bujhiya laite parena.
The scriptures that openly give mantras for worshipping the openly manifested incarnations of the Lord, secretly reveal the nam-mantras for worshiping the secret and hidden incarnation of Lord Gauranga. People whose intelligence is not crooked can understand and see the presence of these Mantrarajas in the scriptures.
● MILLIONS OF YEARS BY ONLY CHANTING THE HARE KRISHNA MAHA-MANTRA BUT ONLY A FEW DAYS BY CHANTING GAURANAM
In Shri Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya, Chp 10, the personified holy place Pushkara instructs the brahmana in Navadvipa:
KOTI KOTI VARSE kari
shri krishna bhajana;
tathapi namete rati
na paya durjana
“A sinful or offensive person will not acquire attraction for the Hare Krishna Mahamantra or Lord Krishna’s devotional service even if he or she chants the Mahamantra and worships Lord Krishna FOR MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF YEARS.”
(48) gauranga bhajile dusta
bhava dure jaya;
SVALPA DINE vrajadhama
“But if he or she worships Lord Gauranga, then his sinful and crooked mentality will immediately leave him and IN A VERY FEW DAYS he will achieve Lord Radha-Krishna in the eternal abode of Vrajadhama.”
(49) nija siddha-deha paya
nija-kunja shri yugala-
seva tara haya.
“Simply by worshiping Gaura, that soul will then instantly achieve an eternally perfect spiritual body (siddha deha) and then the shelter of the sakhis or gopies in Vrindavana. Eventually one will begin one’s direct service to Shri Radha-Krishna in one’s own transcendental grove of Vrindavana in one’s constitutional position.”
● IF EVEN A BIRD CHANTS THE GAURANAM
In the Chaitanya-bhagavata, the glories of Lord Gauranga’s Holy Name is described in Madhya-khanda 10.318:
paksi-matra yadi bale
sei satya jaibeka
“If even a bird chants Gauranam, it will most certainly attain the transcendental eternal abode of Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu.”
● CONGREGATIONAL CHANTING OF GAURANAM
In the Navadvipa-bhava-taranga by Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura, it is stated:
yatha deva-gana kore
taha korena sravana. (56)
“Even the demigods continuously engage in Gauranam Kirtan (congregational chanting of the names of Lord Gauranga) in Navadvipa. Sometimes the residents of the dhama participate and hear the sankirtana.”
(52) keho va bolibe
gaurahari bolo bhai;
seva nahi pai. (57)
“Please sing the name of Gaurahari because without Lord Gauranga’s mercy one will never achieve service to Shri Shri Radha-Krishna.”
● ALL OFFENSES ARE DESTROYED BY TAKING SHELTER OF GAURANAM
In the Gauranga-lila-smarana-mangala stotram Verse 97, Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura states:
namaparadham sakalam vinasya,
bhaktim param yah pradadau jannhyas,
tam gauracandram pranamami bhaktya.
“With great devotion, I bow before Lord Gauranga, Who, for those who take shelter of His most merciful Name, immediately destroys all the various kinds of offenses in the chanting of the Hare Krishna Mahamantra, and in this way awards His topmost transcendental devotional service to the living entities very quickly without delay.”
● ONLY THE MOST POWERFUL SEED OF GAURANAM WILL SPROUT IN THE BARREN DESERT OF OUR HEART
In Shri Chaitanya-chandramrita Verse 53, Shrila Prabodhananda Sarasvati states the paramount importance of the name of Lord Gauranga:
ha hanta citta-bhuvi me paramosarayam,
sad-bhakti-kalpa-latikankurita katham syat;
hrdy ekam eva param asvasaniyam asti,
chaitanya-nama-kalayan na kadapi socyah.
“Alas! Alas! How will the desire creeper of pure unalloyed devotional service to Lord Krishna sprout in the supremely unfertile and barren desert of my heart? In my heart, there is only one supreme consolation and solace. That is Gauranam. It will eternally put an end to all my lamentation and will work wonders in my heart softening and fertilizing it with love of God.”
● BY TAKING NITYANANDANAM AND GAURANAM, SINFUL REACTIONS OF UNLIMITED NO. OF LIVES ARE IMMEDIATELY DESTROYED
Shri Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya, Chp 1, states:
jei bale eka bara;
anta haya tara.
“The most fortunate person who says Nityananda Gauranga just once, immediately destroys the unlimited sinful reactions accumulated for unlimited number of past lives.”
● BY TAKING NITYANANDANAM AND GAURANAM, KRISHNA-PREMA COMES SEARCHING AFTER THAT PERSON. ONE ACHIEVES KRISHNA-PREMA EVEN WITH OFFENSES IN HIS HEART AND THEN THE OFFENSES END. WHAT A SUBLIME AND EASY WAY TO GET KRISHNA-PREMA!
yei jiva dake;
“If one says Nityanandanam and Gauranam, the purest Krishna-prema (pure love of Krishna) comes searching after such a person.”
(57) aparadha badha tara
kichu nahi kare;
tara ankhi jhare.
“The offenses (which may be present in the heart) don’t create any obstacles in path of achieving this love and tears start flowing from his or her eyes in pure ecstatic love simply by saying Nityanandanam and Gauranam.”
(58) svalpa kaale aparadha
hrdaya sodhita haya
prema bade taya.
Thus by Nityanandanam and Gauranam, in a very short time, the offenses themselves flee and the heart becomes completely purified and thus the love further increases.”
● IN THE SINGING OF NITYANANDANAM AND GAURANAM THERE ARE NO OFFENSES. SIMPLY BY TAKING THEM LOVE OF GOD COMES & TEARS OF BLISS FLOW FROM OUR EYES
nahi esaba vicara,
nama laite prema dena,
“But if one only chants, with some slight faith, the holy names of Nityananda and Gaura, very quickly he or she is cleansed of all offenses. And one will very quickly come to the stage of love of God, simply by taking Their names and tears of pure love for Krishna will flow from the eyes.” (Shri Chaitanya Charitamrita Adi 8.31🙂
(60) ANUBHASHYA PURPORT BY SHRILA BHAKTISIDDHANTA SARASVATI THAKURA PRABHUPADA:
Bengali: krishna-nama aparadhera vicara karena, gaura-nityanandera name aparadhera vicara nai. aparadhi krishna-nama grahana karilei kakhanei nama-phala (krishna-prema) labha karena na. aparadhi thaka-kaleu gaura-nityanandera nama grahanakari nama karite karite aparadha mocanante nama-phala labha karena. ihara vicara o siddhanta ei je-gaura-nityanandera nikata krishna-vimukha sadhaka krishna unmukha haibara janya gamana karena. ara sadhanasiddha, anarthamukta krishnanmukera uccarya krishna-nama anarthayukta avasthaya kakhanei phala (krishna-prema)pradana kare na. gaura-nityananda anarthayukta jivera sevya-vastu haoyaya tahadera seva jivera krishnaseva apeksa adhiktara prayojaniya. sadhaka siksara apraptite siddhabhimane krishna-namera seva karite udyata haile tahara anarthaei asiya upasthita haya; kintu nityananda-gaurera bhajane siddhabhimanera chalana na rakhiya anarthayukta avasthayeo jagadguru siksaka dvayera nikata upasthita haile tahara tahadigake anarthamukta karaiya tanhadigera svayam-rupa o svayam-prakasa svarupa uplabdhi karana. tahatei jivera svarupa-jnanera udaya haya.
Translation: “The Hare Krishna Mahamantra considers the offenses whereas Nityanandanam and Gauranam don’t consider offenses. An offensive chanter will never achieve the fruit of chanting (pure love for Krishna) simply by chanting the Hare Krishna Mahamantra.”
(THE SECRET OF ALL SECRETS)
(Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta continues): “THEREFORE TILL THE TIME HE IS COMMITTING OFFENSES, HE SHOULD REGULARLY TAKE NITYANANDANAM AND GAURANAM WHICH ARE THE GRAHANAKARI-NAMA (MOST IMPORTANT NAMES TO BE ACCEPTED AND CHANTED) FOR THE SADHAKA IN THE ANARTHA-YUKTA STAGE. DUE TO THE *REPEATED CHANTING (KARITE KARITE) OF THE NAMES OF NITYANANDA AND GAURA, ALL THE OFFENSES WILL BE DESTROYED AND HE WILL VERY QUICKLY ACHIEVE THE FRUIT OF THE CHANTING, PURE LOVE OF KRSNA.”
(Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Prabhupada continues) “The philosophical principle behind these statements is as follows – The aspirant who is averse to Lord Krishna approaches Lords Nityananda and Gauranga to become attracted to Lord Krishna. The Hare Krishna Mahamantra can only be uttered purely by the sadhaka who is on the perfected stage (sadhana-siddha) and who is free from all anarthas (unwanted things in the heart). If sadhakas full of offenses chant only the Mahamantra, the Mahamantra will never give them love for Krishna.
“Thus Lords Nityananda and Gauranga and Their Holy Names are the most worshipable Lords for the souls who are full of offenses. That is why Their service and the service of Their Names, Abode and Pastimes is more appropriate and beneficial for these unfortunate souls than even the service of Lord Krishna. If the sadhaka without hearing proper instructions, proudly thinks himself to be on the perfected stage and tries to render direct service to the Hare Krishna Mahamantra by chanting it without regularly taking Nityanandanam and Gauranam, then the ten offenses will surely come and bar his progress. On the other hand, if the sadhaka who is full of offenses, gives up his sense of false pride of thinking himself on the perfected stage, and thus approaches the Names of the two Jagadgurus Lords Nityananda and Gauranga, worships Them and accepts Their instructions, Their Pastimes and Their devotees, They will quickly deliver him from all offenses and reward him with the realization of Their own forms (svarupas) of Svayam-Rupa (Lord Gauranga) and Svayam-Prakasa (Lord Nityananda). Then the soul realizes one’s own constitutional position in relation with the two Lords and thus achieves the supreme perfection.”
Bengali: krishna-nama o gaura-nama,-ubhayei namira sahita abhinna. krsnke gaura apeksa laghu va sankirna baliya janile, uhake avidyara karya baliya janite haibe. prakrtapakse jivera prayojana-vicare shri gaura-nityanandera nama grahanera upayogita adhiktara. shri gaura-nityananda udara evam audaryera abhyantare madhura. krsnera udarta-kevala mukta, siddha ashritajana ganera upara; gaura-nityanandera audarya-srote anarthayukta aparadhi jiva bhogamaya aparadhera haste haite mukta haiya gaura-krsnera pada-padma labha karena.
English translation (Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Prabhupada continues): “The name of Krishna and Gauranga – both are non-different than the named Lord. Those who think that Krishna is any way inferior or limited than Gauranga are in gross ignorance.”
(PRAYOJANA-VICARE – MORE USEFUL)
(Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Prabhupada continues): “BUT IN PRACTICAL (PRAYOJANA) CONSIDERATIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE BENEFIT AWARDED TO THE CONDITIONED SOULS, APPROACHING NITYANANDANAM AND GAURANAM IS MORE USEFUL AND HELPFUL FOR EVERY LIVING ENTITY. THE MERCY OF LORD KRISHNA’S NAME IS GENERALLY ONLY UPON THE LIBERATED OR PERFECTED SOULS WHO ARE FULLY SURRENDERED TO HIM. BUT THE MAGNANIMITY AND MERCY OF NITYANANDA GAURA’S NAMES IS ESPECIALLY FOR THE SOULS WHO ARE OFFENDERS AND FULL OF ANARTHAS AND HARMFUL DESIRES. Nityanandanam, Gauranam and Their worship very quickly delivers the soul from all the offenses and thus the soul achieves shelter at the lotus feet of Lord Gauranga-Krishna.”
(61) In the Amrita Pravaha Bhashya to the introduction of Chaitanya-Charitamrita (Cc) Adi-lila Chapter 8, Shrila Bhaktivinoda writes:
ihAte bujhite haibe ye, nAmAparAdhIra sAttvika vikArAdi kevala chalamAtra | yini akapaTe chaitanya-nityAnandera nAma laIyA Ananda prakAza karena, prabhudvaya tAGhAra hRdayake sAkSAt niraparAdha karena |
“We should factually understand that the ecsatic symptoms manifested by an offensive chanter of the Hare Krishna Mahamantra is simply a show or cheating. The Two Lords Nityananda and Gauranga make the heart of only that person pure and free of offenses who take Nityanandanam and Gauranam and manifest great joy in doing it.”
● LORD GAURANGA HIMSELF PREDICTED THAT HIS NAME WILL SPREAD ALL OVER THE WORLD
Shri Gauranga Mahaprabhu Himself predicted that His Holy Name will spread all over the world in the Chaitanya-bhagavata (Antya 4.126):
prthivite ache yata
haibe mora nama.
“My Name will be broadcasted and glorified in all various towns, villages, cities, countries and continents of the world.”
● WHY DO THE COMMON PEOPLE NOT GET KRISHNA-PREMA EVEN THOUGH THE GLORIES OF KRSNA-NAMA-DHAM ARE DESCRIBED IN ALL THE SCRIPTURES? THIS IS THE SECRET OF ALL SECRETS WHICH THE BEWILDERED SOULS NEVER THINK ABOUT. HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?
ara eka gudha katha
suna sarva jana;
kalijive yogya vastu
“Please hear a most confidential secret. The most suitable thing for the conditioned souls in Kali-yuga is the treasure of Gauranga’s Pastimes.”
(64) krishnanama krishnadhama
sastrera dvaraya jane
“The unlimited glories of Krishna’s Name (Mahamantra) and Krishna’s Abode (Sri Vrindavana) are known to the whole world through the revealed scriptures.”
(65) tabu krishna-prema
sadharane nahi paya;
ihara karana kiba
“Even then pure love for Krishna is not attained by the common man. Please deeply meditate on the reason for this fact.”
(66) ihate achaye ta eka
taha na kare vicara.
“The reason for this is the greatest secret of all secrets. The souls bewildered by illusion (maya) do not think about this reason.”
(67) bahu janma krishna bhaji
prema nahi haya;
aparadha punja tara
“Even after worshipping Krishna for many lives, one may not achieve pure love for Krishna. The reason is that there is a great mountain of offenses in one’s heart, without a doubt.”
(68) aparadha sunya haya
tabe jiva krishna prema
“Only when a living entity chants the Mahamantra without any offenses, he or she achieves incessant pure love for Krishna.”
(69) shri chaitanya avatara
“But the incarnation of Lord Shri Gauranga is very powerful and munificent. By His mercy, a living entity can get pure love of Krishna even if he or she is not free from the offenses.”
bali yei jiva dake;
prema anvesaye take.
”And how? If one just says Nityanandanam and Gauranam, the supreme Krishna-prema (pure love of Krishna) comes searching after (seeking out for) such a person.”
(71) aparadha badha tara
kichu nahi kare;
tara ankhi jhare.
“The offenses (which may be present in one’s heart) don’t create any obstacles in path of achieving this love and tears start flowing from his or her eyes in pure ecstatic love.”
(72) svalpa kale aparadha
hrdaya sodhita haya
prema bade taya.
“In a very short time, the offenses themselves flee and the heart becomes completely purified and thus the love furthur increases.”
● THE STRONGEST MEDICINE OF GAURANAM FOR THE STRONGEST DISEASE OF THE KALI-YUGA MENTALITY
Shri Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya, Chp 2, states:
(A) aibe kali ghora
roga haila bhari;
kathina ausadha vina
The Supreme Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu Himself is meditating as follows in the spiritual world: “Due to the advent of the most horrible Kali-yuga, the material disease has become chronic and very hard to cure. In such a case only the most powerful medicine will help the patient.”
(74) atisaya gopane
rakhinu yei dhama;
rakhinu yei nama.
(75) atisaya gopane
rakhinu jei rupa;
prakasa na karile
jiva taribe ki rupa.
“The most merciful Names (Nityanandanam and Gauranam) and Forms which I had kept most confidential and hidden for all these ages, have to be manifested by Myself personally otherwise the living entities can never be delivered in this age of Kali.”
(76) jiva ta amara dasa
ami tara prabhu;
ami na tarile sei
na tarile kabhu.
“All the souls are My infinitesimal parts and servants and I am their real master. So if I don’t deliver them by devising a means to deliver them, they will never ever be delivered.”
(77) ei bali shri chaitanya
nija nama, nija-dhama
“Thinking like this, Lord Gauranga appeared alongwith His own Names, Abodes, and Associates. How will then the living entities ever be delivered without taking shelter of Them?”
● SURABHI AND MARKANDEYA CONTINUOUSLY CHANT GAURANAM WHICH UPROOTS ALL KARMIC REACTIONS FROM THE ROOTS
In Shri Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya, Chp 8, Surabhi cow instructs Markandeya Muni:
(A) surabhi kahila siddhanta-sara;
shri gaura-bhajane nahi vicara.
Shri Surabhi tells Markandeya Rsi, the essence of all secrets, “There is no considerations or rules of any kind in Gaura Bhajana.”
(B) shri gaura bali dakibe jabe;
samasta karama vinasa habe.
“If you simply call out Gauranam in kirtan with feeling, then all your previous sinful reactions are instantly destroyed.”
(C) kichu nahi rabe vipaka ara;
guchibe tomara bhava samsara.
“Thus when no sinful reactions remain, then you will be liberated from the cycle of birth and death.”
(D) karme kene eika jnanera phala;
guchibe samule haye vikala.
“All the material reactions of previous frutive activities and specualtive knowledge will be destroyed at the root and you will become ecstatic in pure love.”
(E) tumi ta majibe gauranga-rase;
bhajibe tahara ei dvipa vase.
“That is why you should dive deeply singing these mellows of pure love for Lord Gauranga while residing in this island of Godruma in Navadvipa.”
● SAPTA-RISHIS ACHIEVE GAURANGA QUICKLY BY ONE-POINTED GAURNAM
In Shri Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya, Chp 9, the seven sages, the sons of Brahma achieved Lord Gauranga in the following way:
(A) aprakrta dhama,
kevala sadhura asa.
“The only aspiration of the sadhus is to take shelter of divine Gauranam in the transcendental abode of Navadvipa.”
(B) kichu nahi khaya,
nidra nahi jaya;
gaura nama kare japa.
“The sapta-rsis (seven sages) who wanted to achieve Krishna-prema went to Navadvipa on the instructions of their father Lord Brahma and became indifferent to all material things. They constantly chanted japa of Gauranam without eating or sleeping.”
● Shrila Visvanatha Chakravarti Thakura in Shri Ksanada-gita-cintamani
patita durgata yata
nityananda chaitanya bali
nace gaya tara
“The fallen, misguided and unfortunate souls devastated by Kali-yuga will dance in ectsasy when they dance while singing Nityanandanam and Gauranam since this is the only way for their deliverance.”
● From Shri Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya by Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura, Chp 6, Lord Nityananda Prabhu tells Shrila Jiva Goswami
(A) vraja-tattva navadvipa-
tattve dekhe bheda;
krishna aparadhi labhe
“Just see the difference between Vraja-tattva (Vrindavana) and Navadvipa-tattva. In Vrindavana, the offenders to Lord Krishna (like the demons) attain oneness with the Lord (sayujya) by merging into the brahman effulgence of the Lord. (The same Kamsa who got liberation by being killed by Krishna’s hands in Mathura in Krishna-lila, got pure love of God from Lord Gauranga in Gauranga-lila in Navadvipa, without having to die.)”
(B) hetha aparadhi paya
ataeva ei gaura-lila
“In Navadvipa however, the offenders achieve pure love. That is why Gaura Lila is the topmost treasure in this universe (even more merciful than Krishna-lila.)”
(C) gauradham, gauranam,
aparadha nahi mane
“Lord Gauranga’s transcendental Name, Abode, Form and Qualities are most expert in delivering one and all because They do not consider any offenses.”
(D) yadi aparadha thake
tare bahu dine.
“Whereas if offenses or unwanted things are present in the heart of the spiritual aspirants, then the regular chanting of Lord Krishna’s Names (Mahamantra) and direct residence Krishna’s Abode (Vrindavana) etc. will deliver him only after a very prolonged period of time.”
jei jana nahi laya
dhare laya jaya,
narake dubaya taya
“The transcendental Nityanandanam and Gauranam are the supreme abodes of unlimited happiness. Those who don’t sing Nityanandanam and Gauranam surely become victims of Yamaraja, the god of death. Yamaraja will drag them and forcibly drown them in the most abominable hellish regions.” (Srila Locana dasa Thakura states)
(83) adyapiha dekha chaitanya-
nama yei laya;
vihvala se haya
(Shri Chaitanya Charitamrita Adi 8.22)
Shrila Prabhupada translates: “Whether he or she is offensive or inoffensive, anyone who even takes Gauranam is immediately overwhelmed with ecstasy, and tears fill his or her eyes.”
Purport by Shrila Prabhupada:
“The prakrta-sahajiyas who chant nityananda-gaura radhe syama have very little knowledge of the Bhagavata conclusion, and they hardly follow the Vaishnava rules and regulations, and yet because they chant bhaja nityananda-gaura, their chanting immediately evokes tears and other signs of ecstasy. Although they do not know the principles of Vaishnava philosophy and are not very much advanced in education, by these symptoms they attract many men to become their followers. Their ecstatic tears will of course help them in the long run, for as soon as they come in contact with a pure devotee their lives will become successful. Even in the beginning, however, because they are chanting the holy names of nityananda-gaura, their swift advancement on the path of love of Godhead is very prominently visible.”
(84) krishna-nama kare
krishna balile aparadhira
na haya vikara
“There are ten stringent offenses considered by the Hare Krishna mahamantra. Therefore simply by chanting the Hare Krishna mahamantra one does not become ecstatic.” (Shri Chaitanya Charitamrita Adi 8.24)
hena krishna-nama yadi
tabu yadi prema nahe,
tabe jani aparadha
tahe na kare ankura
“Even though one may chant the Hare Krishna Maha mantra many millions of times yet one’s love for the Supreme Lord Krishna will not develop and tears will not appear in one’s eyes. Because of the mountains of the ten offenses is his or her heart the seed of the Maha mantra does not sprout even after repeated chanting.” (Sri Caitanya Caritamrta 8.29-30)
nahi esaba vicara,
nama laite prema dena,
( Shri Chaitanya Charitamrita Adi 8.31)
“But if one just says the two Names Nityanandanam and Gauranam, very quickly he or she is quickly cleansed of all offenses. Since in the singing of these two Names there is no consideration of offenses, one will very quickly come to the stage of love of God, simply by approaching just these two Names and tears of pure love for Krishna will flow from the eyes.”
(86) Shri Chaitanya Bhagavata Madhya 3.169-170:
ei avatare keha
gauracandra gaya .
uthiya palaya ..169..
pujaye govinda yena,
na mane sankara .
ei pape aneke
jaibe yama-ghara ..170..
“In these Kaliyuga incarnations, there are some people who take Gauranam but when they hear the Nityanandanam, they get up and flee. This is just like worshiping Lord Krishna but not having faith in Lord Shiva, who is the topmost form and devotee of Lord Krishna. These kind of people are doomed and are destined to go to the house of Yamaraja, the Lord of Death.”
(87) Shri Chaitanya Bhagavata Madhya 4.75:
jagate durlabha bada
sei prabhu chaitanya-
sabara dhanaprana ..75..
”Gauranam is very very rare in this creation. That Lord Gauranga is actually the life, soul and the ultimate and real treasure of all living entities.”
(88) Shri Chaitanya Bhagavata Madhya 20.137:
sannyasio yadi nahi
janiha se dustagana
janma janma andha ..137
“If even a Sannyasi does not accept Lord Gaurachandra, he is considered an evil person and is born blind birth after birth.”
(89) Shri Chaitanya Bhagavata Antya 1.71-72:
sakala bhuvana ebe
tathapiha sabe nahi
shri krishna chaitanya-name
vimukha ye jana.
niscaya janiha sei
papi bhutagana ..72
“All the living entities in the three worlds in this universe are singing Gauranam but those who are ghostly do not sing Gauranam. Those who are averse to this Gauranam Kirtan are certainly very sinful and haunted by ghosts.”
(90) Shri Chaitanya Bhagavata Antya 1.188-189
garbhavati nari cale
ghana svasa vaya.
caitanyera nama kari
seha para haya ..188
“Even the pregnant ladies who were breathless could cross the ocean of birth and death by taking Gauranam.”
andha, khonda loka saba
cale sathe sathe.
prasasta patha dekhe ..189
“The blind and the lame men walked quickly together. It was due to the mercy of singing Gauranam on the way that they could reach their destination.”
(91) Shri Chaitanya Bhagavata Antya 3.386
je prabhura nama-guna
sakrt ye gaya.
se samsara-avadhi tare
“The great ocean of material nescience instantly becomes just like the water contained in the hoofprint of a calf for a person who chants the Holy Name and Qualities of Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu.”
(92) Shri Chaitanya-charita Mahakavya by Shrila Murari Gupta, Fourth Parikrama 28th Sarga, Verse 20:
vanijan tu grhe grhe
“Wandering from house to house amongst the merchants of that town, Nityananda Prabhu performed a great sankirtana of the names of Lord Gauranga.”
ktva raraja gopalaih
sama nanda-vraje yatha
“In company with His gopalas, Nityananda made the three worlds fully satisfied through the singing Gauranam, just as it had formerly been in the land of Vraja when Nanda ruled as king of the cowherds.”
(93) “The more the names of Lord Gaura and Lord Krishna were preached, the merrier was Thakura Bhaktivinoda.” (Vaishnava Song Book)
(94) “The Chaitanya-bhagavata had predicted that the name of Lord Chaitanya would one day be known in every town and village. Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta had wanted that.” (Shrila Prabhupada Lilamrita Chp 6)
(95) Shri Chaitanya Charitamrita Madhya 6.258
ei dhyana, ei japa,
laya ei nama
“Shrila Sarvabhauma Bhattacharya always chanted the holy name of the Supreme Personality of Godhead Shri Krishna Chaitanya, son of mother Shachi and the abode of all transcendental qualities. Indeed, the chanting of the the Holy Names of Lord Gauranga became his only japa, meditation and kirtana.”
(96) Shri Chaitanya Charitamrita Antya 11.34
jihvaya uccarimu tomara
ei-mata mora iccha
Srila Haridasa Thakura said to the Lord Gauranga: “With my tongue I want to repeatedly say Krishna Chaitanya Nam. That is my fervent desire. Kindly let me give up my body in this way.”
(97) Shri Chaitanya Charitamrita Antya 11.55
sabda balena bara bara
piye, netre jala-dhara
Shrila Haridasa Thakura began to chant the Sannyasa holy name of “Shri Krishna Chaitanya” again and again. As he drank the ambrosial sweetness of the lotus face of Lord Gauranga, tears constantly glided down from his eyes.”
(98) Shri Chaitanya Charitamrita Antya 11.56:
sabda karite uccarana
namera sahita prana
“While chanting the holy name of Shri Krishna Chaitanya, Shrila Haridasa Thakura gave up his life air and left his body just like Shrila Bhishmadeva had left his body beholding the lotus face of Lord Krishna on the battlefield.”
● GAURANAM IS THE MOST PRINCIPAL AMONG THE MOST PRINCIPAL NAMES OF KRISHNA
(I) In the Brihad-vishnu-sahasranama-stotra, Uttara-khanda, Padma Purana (72.335) it is said:
rama rameti rameti,
rame rame manorame;
Lord Shiva addressed his wife, Durga: “O Varanana (lovely-faced woman), I chant the holy name of Rama, Rama, Rama and thus constantly enjoy this beautiful sound. This holy name of Ramacandra is equal to one thousand holy names of Lord Vishnu (Vishnu-sahasra-nama-stotram).”
(II) In Padma Purana it its mentioned:
vishnor ekaika namapi,
sarva vedadhikam matam
tadrk nama sahasrena,
rama nama samasmritam
“Each Name of Lord Vishnu is greater and more potent than the entire Vedas combined together, and Lord Rama’s Name alone is more superior than a thousand Names of Lord Vishnu.”
(III) In the Brahmanda Purana it is stated:
trir-avrittya tu yat phalam;
ekavrittya tu krishnasya,
namaikam tat prayacchati.
“And the pious results (punya) achieved by chanting the thousand holy names of Vishnu (Vishnu-sahasra-nama-stotram) three times or the Holy Name of Rama thrice can be attained by only one utterance of the Holy Name of Krishna.”
(IV) Prabhasa Khanda of Padma Purana states:
namnam mukhyataram nama,
krishnakhyam me parantapa;
papanam mochakam param.
“O Arjuna, the Holy Name of Krishna is the most principal (mukhyataram) among all Names of God. One can atone for unlimited sinful deeds by chanting the Name of Krishna which is the supreme destroyer of all sins.”
(V) Finally in the Brahma-Rahasya it is stated:
mukhyan mukhyatamam prabhoh;
helaya sakrid uccarya,
“The Holy Name of Krishna Chaitanya (Gauranam) is the topmost or the most principal (mukhyan) even among all the important primary and most principal (mukhyatamam) Holy Names of the Lord Krishna. By chanting this name just once, a person attains the spiritual results (punya) of chanting all the other holy names of the Lord.”
So from the above five very important verses we can easily come to the following conclusion:
Secondary Names of God like Brahma, Paramatma, Shrishtikarta etc. take us only to the heavenly planets or maximum can grant us liberation or mukti. But the following Primary Names of God can elevate the soul to the Vaikuntha planets in the spiritual world:
Vishnu’s Name = Principal Name of God more powerful than all the Vedas combined together
Rama’s Name = More Principal Name (Mukhya) of God = 1000 Names of Vishnu
Krishna’s Name = Most Principal Name (Mukhyataram) of God = 3 Names of Rama or 3000 Names of Vishnu
Gauranga’s Name = Most Principal (Mukhyan) among the Most Principal Names (Mukhyatamam) of Krishna = Sum Total of results obtained by chanting all the Names of Krishna, Rama and Vishnu
Mukhya is the first degree, Mukhyataram is the second degree and Mukhyatamam is the third degree of emphasis. So in the above verses from the scriptures, Rama’s Name is Mukhya, Krishna’s Name is Mukhyataram and Gauranga’s Name is Mukhyan Mukhyatamam.
(100) In the Vishnu-yamala it is said:
kirtayanti sakrin narah;
punanti sakalam jagat.
“Those who chant the names of Krishna Chaitanya even once, become free from all offenses and purify all the worlds by their very presence.”